Mayor Pro Tem Bobby Parker called the meeting to order on Monday evening, September 20, 2021. Prayer was by Dan Pope.
- Mayor Pro Tem Parker welcomed everyone to the meeting and took a moment to discuss some reminders for the city residents and to thank them for their continued cooperation with city efforts.
- Mayor Pro Tem Parker stated that the Splost VI, T-Splost, and Golf Reports are available for anyone wishing to view or receive a copy.
- Mayor Pro Tem Parker thanked all the “Street Captains” for keeping the streets of Tallapoosa free of litter.
- Mayor Pro Tem Parker thanked all the city residents who are displaying an American Flag at their home and showing their support of Veterans by displaying a green outside light and their support of the police and first responders by having a blue outside light.
- Mayor Pro Tem Parker asked all residents to remember to roll their garbage cans out for pick up the night before your pickup day each week. Residents were also asked to please remember to roll their carts back to their proper storage location after pick up. The City has appointed a Tallapoosa Police Officer to act as City Marshall to address this and other similar types of violations.
- Mayor Pro Tem Parker reminded everyone to call City Hall to be put on the Brush and Limb Pick Up list. If your location is not on the list, the contractor will not know to come down your street. Residents were reminded to cut limbs in no longer than 4 feet lengths and to separate the limbs from the brush when possible. Pick up day is Thursday.
- The Council passed a Motion to approve the August 2021 Financial Statement as given by Financial Manager Melissa Chandler.
- City Manager Philip Eidson gave the City Manager’s Report. Mr. Eidson reported that the city is in the planning stages of trying to decide how best to approach the construction of a new police station. This will include the demolition of the current station which will require the temporary relocation of the personnel in that building. The city is also finalizing the funding path for this project. Mr. Eidson expects work to begin the first of 2022.
- Patrick Clarey gave the planning report. Mr. Clarey gave a partial report on foreclosures for the last 2 months stating that 2 foreclosures were reported for the county and none for the city. The LMIG project for 2021 has been given the NTP (Notice To Proceed) and work should begin in the next two weeks. The ARPA (American Rescue Plan Act) deadline for applications was moved from August 31, 2021 to October 31, 2021. Mr. Clarey reported that the city submitted one project prior to the change in deadline date. That project is the lighting at Exit 5 on I20. Mr. Clarey stated that there are currently sixteen other projects that will be submitted for these funds. MR. CLAREY REMINDED EVERYONE THAT THE KEEP HARALSON BEAUTIFUL ORGANIZATION IS SPONSORING A TIRE AND ELECTRONICS RECYCLING EVENT ON SATURDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2021 FROM 9:00 A.M. UNTIL 1:00 P.M.
- Mr. Eidson continued the City Manager’s Report. Mr. Clarey reported that the city is waiting on a start date for the TE grant. All required action by the city has been done. Mr. Eidson added that the city has completed the process to approve the project contractor and is now just waiting on that contractor to start. Mr. Eidson reported that the city has completely redone two infields at the ballpark and will finish up with the south field shortly. The city has also finished work with the back stops, painting the building, and working on the lighting. The city will continue work on replacing the netting on the back stops and putting backs on the bleachers which was suggested by the city’s insurance carrier. The city is also working on quotes to replace the score board. The city received a request for the handicap parking on West Alabama street to be updated. The city will install two new handicap spaces. The spaces will be located between the Santa Fe restaurant and the old drug store building. The city has ordered three police vehicles and one public works vehicle. Because of the abundant rain in the area, the city is behind on its normal grass cutting and bush hogging schedule and will be working to catch up once the weather improves. The last grass cutting at the Hollywood Cemetery was not done as well as normal. The city will be working to rectify that. The city sent out two appearance enforcement notices.
- Mayor Pro Tem Parker polled the council members for comments. Council Member Dan Pope thanked Public Works Director Boyd Coggins for all his hard work at the recreation ballfields and the city golf course
- Meeting adjourned.
The Lobby at City Hall is now open on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. The Lobby remains closed on Tuesday and Thursday. Your City Hall staff will continue to report Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. as usual. Payments can still be made by using the “drop box” in front of city hall or online at www.tallapoosaga.gov or by calling the dedicated phone number of